Jeff Baij is an artist living in Venice, California.  He has recorded making $65.13 for his art to date.  His art deals in the online and computer world and often playfully makes fun of both.

Alot of his work deals with online research.  In “Definitive Kowloon” he found all of the pictures available online depicting the Kowloon Walled City on a specific day.

Definitive Kowloon

Recently he has had a series of images on his blog of the outline of various animals with various textures inserted into them.

He also uses many .gifs in his artwork that have to do with objects moving over eachother and pixelated, moving, rainbow-colored geometric shapes.

examples:

Bricksun

Dance Party

The Floating Island

Some of his other works include:

Blood Vomit

Can my software distinguish friends from foes?

Index of /Party

He has an ongoing work of various quicktime movies showing morphing images. (actually pretty cool)
Hallway 2

Beav

Because he does so many different types of things, it’s hard to describe the body of Jeff Baij’s work.  The only real connection between the works are that they are computer-based, but they lack any real defining elements about them.  I do respect some things, for example I am not able to write computer code or make .gifs and I did enjoy some of the witty commentary on internet searches (Value) but on the whole I was not that impressed.  For a lot of his work, the idea is there, but technically (a lot of the time it’s very sloppy work) he does not come through all the way and make the viewer want to continue to explore his blog and see more.  In short, I like that he does his own thing, but a lot of it does seem pointless (example:1:10:100:100kb Lines)

Last year one of our own from Mary Wash posted a rather scathing review of Jeff Baij that prompted a pretty awesome (yet slightly embittered) video-response on his bio:

Blog Entry
Bio

Jeff Baij:

let me make you a list of personal insecurites surrounding my art:

1. not “black metal” enough
  2. not “rap” enough
  3. too small
  4. no consistent theme that says “jeff made this” (unless you count shitiness)
  5. starting to think that sheer volume of output does not make up for
    1. lack of good ideas
    2. lack of physical objects (not counting glow-in-the-dark daleks)
    3. everything i make looking like its from 2006 and this is 2010
  6. maybe i should spend more time than it takes to toast a pop-tart to make something
  7. other stuff but i’m bored now

HMMMM.